Whirlpool Washing Machine Problems Barely Out Of Warranty?!
The Whirlpool Washing Machine Situation
As we all know Whirlpool washing machines don't last anywhere near as long as they used to… And Whirlpool customer service leaves a lot to be desired.In the 80's and 90's most washing machines where built to last 15-20 years and they did just that! Any washing machine that didn't perform as advertised or expected was promptly repaired or replaced. Who would accept anything less?!
A few things have changed in washing machines since that time…
- There are very few manufacturers producing washing machines now.
Who Made What
- Whirlpool discovered they can make a lot more money if washing machines only last 8-10 years. #PlannedObsolescence
- Most washing machines only have a one year warranty. And that was fine when Whirlpool was building them to last 15 years…
- Consumers (YOU) are expected to accept this is the new washing machine lifespan reality.
How Long Do Whirlpool Washing Machines Last?
As you may guess this is a difficult question to accurately answer. First problem is as an appliance repair person I don't get to work on correctly functioning washing machines so unfortunately I do not become intimately acquainted with an washing machine unless it has lots of problems.
From what I see my opinion is that most washing machines produced in the last few years are designed to last approximately 8-10 years. at that time you can expect at least some minor washing machine problems, and possibly some major problems.
The real annoying part is in this world of planed obsolescence and intentionally engineered weak points, sometimes washing machine problems come far sooner than expected! If you are having a problem with your washing machine in the first 2-4 years of careful use, I say that's unacceptable and you should say it loudly! Heres your options…
What can I do if my Whirlpool Washing Machine has major problems in the first 2-5 years?!
- Suck it up Nancy! Quit your whining and start saving for the repair bill.
- Yell at your washing machine, stomp your feet, then throw your new but worthless Whirlpool washer in a land fill. (This is the super green energy star option) Then swear on heaven and earth you'll never buy another Whirlpool appliance again! If you choose this option you may want to check "Who Made What" Who Made What? so they don't trick you into buying another brand name that Whirlpool produces…
- Call the Whirlpool customer service number 1 (866) 698-2538. I use the term "customer service" very loosely! If your idea of time well spent is sitting on hold for an hour or two in order to speak with someone with no authority to do anything, then this option one is a great choice.
- Plaster your story all over the internet in very public places and have a cup of coffee while you wait for a response.
I don't know about you but a nice cup of coffee should always be a part of good customer service, so "option four" seems like the best idea to me!
Below you will find a few links to easily make your frustration venting fantasies a reality. Worst case you get to tell your frustrations to thousands of other potential Whirlpool washing machine customers… There in lies the power of this last course of action.
NOTE: A well written description of your problem in a clear but not extremely confrontational manor will greatly increase your odds of success! (Let the facts speak for themselves) I suggest including few things in your post…
- Your Whirlpool washing machine's Model Number Model Number Locator
- Your Whirlpool washing machine's Serial Number
- Your Whirlpool washing machine's purchase location, date, and cost.
- A sob story. What makes you a person that really needs Whirlpool customer service to step up and help you out even though the washing machine is out of the stated warranty period?
- If you have had a repair person diagnose your Whirlpool washing machine, list what part and part number is needed as well as the quoted cost of the part and repair labor.
- Some carefully phrased criticism of Whirlpool washing machines. If FIRE or FLOODING are appropriate words to include, do.
- A good picture is worth a thousand words…
Please include in your post #DefectiveWhirlpoolWasher or #WhirlpoolWasherDefectiveByDesign
Remember, right or wrong, if your Whirlpool washing machine is out of the warranty period Whirlpool customer service is not required to do anything for you. So if Whirlpool customer service offers to ship you the repair part or cover the repair labor,TAKE THE DEAL. Unless of course there is legitimate damage to your home due to flooding or fire, in that case sick your insurance company on them.
Don't forget to update your post with what actions Whirlpool took to address your complaint. Whirlpool may request that as part of the concession so it's always nice to offer first (Remember your manners.)
Some great places to start your Whirlpool customer service rant…
General Appliance Complaint Links:
(I highly recommend the last one! It probably won't go anywhere but if big brother knows a bunch of his siblings are being sold appliances designed to break shouldn't he do something about it?)
Whirlpool Washing Machine Complaint Links: